October 30, 2019

Ghana: Ethical Considerations When Travelling Abroad

Throughout my 4 years in the Global Studies program at Wilfrid Laurier University I have been enlightened into some of the considerations that need to be made when travelling abroad. Appropriation and cultural stereotyping have been a discussion point in terms of how the West gets a large say in how we view the "Other". How are our own personal biases clouding our judgement? How do we minimize the voices and image of those we are unfamiliar with? How do we contribute to this single story that is being applied onto other countries and people? These are all questions that I faced when going through my undergrad and a few years back I got the opportunity to challenge myself with these issues first hand by travelling to Accra, Ghana (West Africa), while undergoing an international placement.


Challenges While Abroad
As expected, when you travel to a foreign country for a lengthier amount of time, challenges begin to arise. A major challenge for me was all of the unwanted attention I got simply because I was foreign. The main contributor to this was verbal harassment of people following me around saying they want to be my "friend" and having my picture taken without warning and approval. I remember one time I was walking in the mall and this guy with his group of friends took a picture on his camera with his flash on and just kept walking. It was interactions like this that just kept piling together until the point where I felt self-conscious and that I was always be watched or filmed or something. I also remember having to say no to random people who came up to me on the streets asking to take pictures with me or those saying they wanted my number. Other challenges included the feeling of being stuck at the hostel due to it being unsafe to go very far alone, especially at night. Also, transportation started getting frustrating since I was always reliant on Ubers that were not always time efficient. This "Ghanaian time" of there being no set deadlines, of always being late and not having the need or desire to be efficient with time was a big societal difference when it came to how we interpret respect and reliability.

Overcoming Challenges While Abroad
However, the aspect that we studied in global studies however was how our privilege and biases play a role when judging and evaluating another country's dynamics. Having a global studies background we learned the importance of not being rude about differences in front of locals who could take offence to passing comments that are made. This could relate to commenting on their pollution, food, appearance, music, language, etc. Even comments such as "this is so cheap" could be taken offensively since to another individual 10GHC ($2.40 CAD) could be considered expensive. Having that background knowledge of how to conduct yourself in a foreign country was important. Being able to limit showing negative reactions to certain elements that we were unfamiliar or uncomfortable with and being conscientious of the appropriations that go on in society and how we shouldn't stereotype based on one experience. 

Therefore, in order to handle our varying emotions while there we confided in the relations, we had with others in the group who were also going through similar stages. Not taking out our frustration on the locals and not being disrespectful during the initial interaction was key to maintaining moral during those tougher times. Learning how operations work within their culture did help to manage our expectations when facing a situation. Preparing ourselves that a commute will always have heavy traffic, in hot weather or that when going to restaurants our food will be served at different times within the overall 2 hours wait helped us come to terms with what we will be encountering. Other ways that we distracted ourselves in our down time was travelling to other regions in Ghana on the weekends, playing cards at night, going out for dinner together and since I was taking two online courses while there, I also had that to fall back on as well.

Processing Stage Upon Return
Since being back I am still processing how my privilege was treated while abroad. While I was there, I remember being annoyed by people always wanting to be my “friend” simply due to my foreignness and their constant desire to sell me things. At the time I saw this degrading in some way since I was simply trying to mind my own business and I was never left alone when walking to get dinner or on my way to work. Since being back however, and after taking the post-trip class (GS399), I’ve started to consider the situation from a more objective point of view. In my mind, I don’t have endless money to spend, but in their eyes, I am still more well off then them therefore it shouldn't be a hassle to spare some coins. That unequal relationship is something I am still coming to terms with, especially now that I’m back and spending money on materialistic items. It is also confusing to process this inequality and not frame it in a way that defends the typical notion that foreigners need to be their savior.

Another consideration that came to mind occurred after reading an article by Erin K. Sharpe and Samantha Dear. They reflected on how their intentions and actions did not match up, especially in terms of how their privilege played roles in ways that were unintended. After reading that article I began considering the potential ways the locals I knew during my placement interpreted my weekend travel and daily expenses. We travelled almost every weekend and there were a few cases where we invited others (some local friends we had met) to come with us. It didn’t occur to me how they would perceive the price of some of these trips and how our ability to participate in them was an inherent visibility of not only our foreignness but also our monetary privilege. While I was aware to be conscientious of the comments that I made about money, for example, not saying if I thought something was expensive or inexpensive, I largely overlooked how my activities gave off an impression despite not meaning too. This really demonstrates the difficulty in successfully showcasing our desire to be considerate and humble about financial, social, economic, environmental, political, etc. societal structures. While we may take the precautions to be unbiased and open-minded to the new culture and environment, just by living our day to day lives overseas and wanting to immerse ourselves in the "full experience" of a foreign place can be the divide that pinpoints and announces one's privilege over the other.


© Where The Art Is
Maira Gall